For a beginner who wants to become a sewer, need to first find the best suitable sewing machine. Finding a best sewing machine for beginners can be an overwhelming task. It has been observed that most of the sewing machines company maker uses a similar winding, threading, bobbing method in all of their models.
Points to be remember before buying a best sewing machine for beginner
- The machine ability to sew a basic kind of stitch on different kind of fabrics like cotton, denim, woven cotton, silk, polyester, wool, satin, heavyweight wool and silk chiffon.
- The machine ability to sew multiple layers of denim, cotton sweater, and woven cotton.
- The machine capacity to sew quilt swatch
- The machine capacity to sew a bound seam
- How much easily the machine create a buttonhole and how much time does it take to set up a buttonhole
- The quality and accuracy of buttonholes being made.
- Time and comfort in threading by machine.
- Easiness of winding bobbin
- Ability to change tension and speed
- How much comfortably the needle can be change and time for making a change.
- Ease on the foot pedal, hand wheel and buttons.
- Sound level of the machine.
- Instruction manual and customer services should also be taken into account.
Before buying we should be aware that we need to do just basic kind of sewing or some of high duty sewing. High level sewing demands a machine with extra functions and feathers and have a high cost. Further you need to know that what feature you want to be in your machine like automatic needle threading or variable speed control. Also to limit price only buy accessories that are relevant to your usage.
How to use a sewing machine:
First you need to check the tension of the thread. It should be adequate for getting desired stiches.
Employ the suitable needle as per need. Different fabrics need different kind of needles like for hard fabrics (leather etc) we will require a stronger needle.
Before starting stitching take a sample on scrap fabric to ensure that stitch setting is right. If desired stich does not produce check the machine threading and perform re-threading if required.
Parts of sewing machine to be known for beginners:
1. Spool pin: It’s a kind of metal pin that holds your spool of thread.
2. Thread guide: Its guides the spool on top of the machine to bobbin winder.
3. Bobbin winder: Near the spool pin there is another plastic pin which is bobbin winder and bobbin winder stopper. They wind the thread on bobbin before the sewing is started.
4. Stitch adjustment buttons: These button are located on the machine that let you to decide the type of the stich, the length of stitch and its direction (forward or reverse). You can take help of manual for determining the feature of each button.
5. Thread take up lever: Before starting sewing the thread is guided through thread guide and then around the take up lever. The lever has two cut-in grooves on it.
6. Tension dial: It is a wheel to adjust the tension in the tread. It is located near the take up lever.
7. Needle clamp screw: It holds the needle in place while sewing. It looks like a large nail.
8. Presser foot: This part holds the fabric in place while you sew. It also helps in guiding the fabric during sewing.